There are certain areas in your plumbing system that you are most likely to encounter problems with. Keeping an eye on these areas can help eliminate any potential serious problems in the future.
- Drains. Drains in your kitchen are most likely to become clogged by food or grease. Refrain from washing or pouring these items down your sink. In the bathroom, hair is the main culprit for causing a blockage. Periodic drain maintenance is a must.
- Water Heaters. Although gas and electric versions use a different energy source with respect to how the water gets heated, they do share a few things in common. Scale build-up and sedimentation in the tank are problems with all types of water heaters. Scale build up can also be found in the Tankless versions over time. Also look at the base of the water heater for any water on the floor. This could be an early warning sign of a problem. Having your water heater serviced once a year by a professional plumber will ensure safe operation and longevity.
- Leaking Pipes. A sudden surge in your water bill, mysterious drips or stains may be indicators that you have a leaking water pipe in your home. When you are outside, be aware of any spots in your yard that are always wet. Once diagnosed, shut down your main water supply and call a professional plumber immediately!
- Noisy Pipes. This is a common problem that is sometimes hard to diagnose. “Air hammer” or loose pipes are often the culprits in this situation. A faulty pressure regulator can also cause strange noises.
- Toilets. Toilets can exhibit a range of symptoms, one of which is running incessantly. This may indicate a faulty fill valve, float arm or valve seal. Toilets are also liable to leak at the junction of the bowl and the tank, where a new washer or seal is often required. Look for any rust stains on the floor behind the toilet. This could be a sign that the bolts are rusting through.
- Faucets and Showerheads. Leaking faucets and showerheads are the most common problems encountered in the home. This typically means replacement of a washer or cartridge, and these are widely available and easy to replace.