Plumbing is probably the last thing you think about as the azaleas are blooming, but a spring plumbing checklist can help stave off nasty problems later in the year. Just add these tips to your regular spring cleaning list to prevent future plumbing problems!
Here’s your spring plumbing checklist:
- Have your water heater professionally inspected and drained. You should drain it once a year.
- After heavy rains, inspect your basement walls for signs of moisture, cracks or leaks.
- Check to make sure your sump pump works properly. You can pour water into the pump silo to raise the float and activate the motor. If it is not working correctly, call Mr. Plumber.
- Remove water stains with half a lemon for a quick faucet fix.
- Thoroughly clean your garbage disposal to reduce the risk of future clogs. (And remember, never put these foods down the disposal!)
- Inspect the grout and caulk around sinks, tubs and showers, and repair or replace the damaged areas.
- Clean your shower heads to reduce mineral buildup and mold.
- Inspect and replace your washing machine and ice dispenser hoses.
- Install a water alarm to protect your home against flooding caused by spring storms or failing appliances.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts.
- Make it a habit to regularly check your crawl space for water accumulation or excessive moisture.
- Learn how to check a water meter to find plumbing leaks.
- Flush your sprinkler system and check it for leaks. Make sure that your sprinkler heads are aimed properly and do not spray the walls of your house.
- Check the valve where water enters your house, outdoor faucets, and valves to toilets. Turn each off and on several times to identify leaks.
- Remove temporary cold-weather insulation, such as pipe jackets and faucet covers.
- Be cautious of underground plumbing when planting new trees.
Schedule a spring plumbing inspection today!
If you need water heater, plumbing, drain, or sewage services, turn to the experts at Mr. Plumber. We have been serving the Atlanta metro area for decades, and we can help with any plumbing needs you have this spring. Learn more about our special offers and exclusive maintenance agreements for year-round protection. Contact Mr. Plumber today or schedule an appointment online!